The World Federation of Trade Unions, on behalf of the 92 million workers in every continent, expresses its deep class solidarity with its affiliate NEHAWU from South Africa on the Occasion of its National Day of Action in the Social Development Sector on the 10th February 2017 in the fight for improved conditions of workers in general and specifically the Public Social Development Sector.
We fully adopt the message of the workers: “We shall take the matter to the streets”, we call them to intensify their struggle for their rights. The workers in the social Development Sector have to face the privatization and outsourcing in many sectors that have to be offered free by the state.
The NEHAWU demands which we fully support are:
- The review of entry levels for Social Service Professionals and Occupations, the total overhaul of the OSD, introduction of rural allowance;
- Provision of tools of trade, absorption of unemployed Social Workers on a permanent basis;
- Improved conditions of service for all employees in the department of Social Development;
- Implementation of the 2015 Social Work Indaba resolutions and
- The protection of the professional council for Social Service Professionals.
Source: WFTU / RedGlobe