Common appeal by communist and workers’ parties in solidarity with the working people of Sudan demanding the immedate release of the leaders of the CP of Sudan and all political detainees.
ICP, 30 January 2018
The persecutions by the government of Sudan towards the political opposition including leaders of the CP of Sudan, which had mobilised the people against economic conditions, meets international reaction by communist and workers’ parties in solidarity with the people of Sudan.
The appeal is as follows:
The Communist and Workers’ parties that sign this statement have received verified information that in the past few days Comrade Mohamed Mokhtar Al-Khatieb, the Political Secretary of the Sudanese Communist Party, and a number of members of the Central Committee and leading cadres of the SCP have been arrested by the security forces of the regime. The party leadership was attacked following a successful mass demonstration in center of the capital Khartoum on Tuesday 16 January 2018 protesting against the rise in the price of bread.
We believe that the health and lives of the detainees of the Sudanese Communist Party are in imminent danger.
The dictatorial regime in Sudan has demonstrated that it will resort to the use of force to prevent the peaceful protesters from practising their constitutional rights to organise and participate in peaceful demonstration against the regime’s economic policies.
The arrest of the communist leaders in Sudan is coupled with the detention of opposition political leaders and activists, and the confiscation of newspapers, including Almidan, the central organ of the SCP.
The Communist and Workers’ parties co-signing this statement express their support to and solidarity with the struggle of the Sudanese people and workers for peace, democracy and social justice and demand:
- The immediate release of all political detainees;
- Freedom for Comrade Al-Khatieb and leading cadres of SCP;
- Respect of democratic rights and freedoms of the people;
- The abolition of the new economic measures introduced by the regime that will inevitably result in starving the majority of the Sudanese people.
The parties that signed the common appeal:
- Communist Party of Albania
- Party of Labour of Austria
- Communist Party of Australia
- Communist Party of Azerbaidjan
- Progressive Tribune, Bahrain
- Communist Party of Bangladesh
- Communist Party Wallonia-Brussels (Belgium)
- Workers’ Party of Belgium (PTB)
- Communist Party of Britain
- Socialist Workers Party of Croatia
- AKEL, Cyprus
- Communist Party of Egypt
- Communist Party of Macedonia
- German Communist Party
- Communist Party of Greece
- Hungarian Workers Party
- Communist Party of India
- Communist Party of India (Marxist)
- Iraqi Communist Party
- Tudeh Party of Iran
- Communist Party of Ireland
- Workers Party of Ireland
- Communist Party (Italy)
- Jordanian Communist Party
- Lebanese Communist Party
- Socialist People’s Front, Lithuania
- Communist Party of Luxembourg
- Communist Party of Mexico
- New Communist Party of the Netherlands
- Communist Party of Norway
- Communist Party of Pakistan
- Palestinian People’s Party
- Paraguayan Communist Party
- Philippine Communist Party [PKP-1930]
- Portuguese Communist Party
- Communist Party the Russian Federation
- Union of Communist Parties – CPSU
- New Communist Party of Yugoslavia
- Party Communists of Serbia
- Communist Party of the Peoples of Spain (PCPE)
- Sudenese Communist Party
- Communist Party of Turkey
- Communist Party USA