Due to the increasing health threat posed by the spread of the virus COVID-19 (“coronavirus”), we have been forced to make the difficult decision of postponing the Cyprus International Conference Against Imperialism, scheduled for March 27-29, 2020 in Larnaca, Cyprus. This was not an easy decision for the organizers of the conference. We did not want to postpone the conference prematurely due to the travel and financial problems it could cause for our speakers and participants, who had already made their reservations for lodging and booked their airline tickets. The number confirmed international participants had reached more than 100 from around 50 countries.
However, because of recent identification of some cases of coronavirus infection in Cyprus and its complications, and increasing travel restrictions imposed on the public by various governments, we decided that holding the conference at the scheduled time would be too risky for our conference participants and the host country. (The government of the Cyprus Republic announced on 10th March the prohibition of all events with more than 75 attendants.)
As a result, we have decided to postpone the Conference for six months, to September 11-13, 2020, again in Larnaca Cyprus, with the same arrangements (registration, venue, accommodation, etc.). We apologize for the inconvenience this could cause, but as you are well aware, this was decision that had to be made.
A few points about Conference postponement:
1. Registered participants will have the option of keeping their conference registrations and lodging reservations for the new date, or can ask for cancellation and refund. We will be happy to accommodate their wishes.
2. Please inform us about your wish. Otherwise, we will assume that you wish to keep your registration and accommodation for the new date. Please reply to this email and inform us about your decision.
3. As to airline tickets, setting a new date for the conference allows our participants to rebook their flights with a minimal fee as opposed to losing their tickets completely. Many airlines have also announced that they are waiving their rebooking fees due to the virus pandemic.
4. When rebooking your tickets, try to arrive in Larnaca on Friday September 11 before 3:00 PM (15:00), as part of the program will start at 5:00 PM (17:00).
5. The Conference web site will be updated for the new date and will remain open for Conference Registration and Accommodation for September 11- 13, 2020.
6. We hope that this postponement does not keep you from participating in the conference in September and making it successful.
Thank you for your support of the conference.
Executive Secretary, World Peace Council
Coordinator, Coalition Against U.S. Foreign Military Bases
Chair, Cyprus Peace Council